Posts by RaiderThrows15

Our strength coach has us use VERY light weights and move them dynamically. A lot of the reasoning behind this is because it better trains the ability to relax the antagonist muscle group. Cal Deitz does a lot with it up at MN which is where our strength coach did some interning-our coach of course puts his own philosophies with it, but we've seen some good results in the 2 years that he's been with us.

While I absolutely believe that power cleans and snatches can be a great tool for throwers to use because of their explosive nature, I also firmly believe that if not done correctly they can be one of the worst possible things that can be included in an athlete's program. The olympic lifts are very technical lifts and a large amount of mobility which take a lot of time to learn and perfect. If done incorrectly, just like any other lift, it heightens the potential for injury. If done correctly and with the correct loads (research says around 60%), however, they are a great tool for encouraging explosive extension and developing power.

I think that Odysseus also brings up a great point when it comes to catching--well, not catching. Like he said, by not catching you're still reaping the benefits of developing explosiveness as well as avoiding injury to the wrists. There is also some research that suggests that athletes performing olympic lift variations such as the jump shrug (basically what Odysseus described above) were able to produce more force than when performing a full hang clean. Additionally, in some of Anatoly Bondarchuk's research concerning the transfer of training (I found this in Cal Dietz's book Triphasic Training) showed that there were exercises that had a much higher coefficient of correlation to shot put performance than the power clean. Just some fun stuff to think about. :)

We did a decent amount of reps without releases this past year as a pre-meet type thing, sometimes with an implement, sometimes not. We'd do 5 mental reps (so, just visualizing yourself doing the throw with perfect technique) and then we'd do 5 reps without releasing about 3 times or so the day before a meet. I think that there's a lot of power in training your body to be able to put into action the technique that you're able to visualize, and sometimes doing it without releasing is helpful as it forces you to focus on technique over distance. In that setting, I found it to be beneficial, and I think it'd be interesting to see if it would work in using that technique on more consistent terms.

In addition to what's already been said, I think another way to really boost a bad day is by pointing out things that others are doing well (if you have teammates) and encouraging them to push through their rough spots that day. It's amazing how much being positive for other people can making you have a more positive outlook on your own throws and just relax and be able to take something of value out of the day.