Harting suggests to change the weights for the throwing implements

• Discus gold medalist Robert Harting wants a restart on world records in the throwing events. In a German sports magazine he suggests to change the weight of the throwing implements at little bit. Everyone knows Robert Harting thinks out of the box, does not mince his words and the German athlete of the year is […]

• Official Post
    • Official Post

swdhj

I don’t know how serious Harting was. You don’t have to change the WR for the IAAF to wipe out and start new records. The IWF has done this for weightlifting–Taranenko’s SHW record is not recognized. However, to avoid direct comparison, I would suggest a new 2.25kg disc with 230-232mm diameter for men and 1.25kg 190-192mm diameter disc for women. The increased diameter will mitigate the weight increase, and I imagine the new WRs will be in the low 60s. At the same time, you could increase the SP/HT weight to 8kg men and 5kg women. WRs will be in the upper 60 to low 70s, and both events will be more compatible with field restrictions. javelin could go to 900g, but women’s jav can stay at 600g–in fact increase max shaft diameter to 26mm to make it more aerodynamic. That will make WR mor like 75m women and 80m men.

• Official Post

AndyHiggy
    I’d be concerned with the cost implications to all the small athletics clubs. The addition of the 500g girls javelin hit my local clubs coffers pretty hard. Having to replace all of the senior throwing equipment could drive a club under. Unfortunately the worlds elite tend to overlook the little guys.

• Official Post
    • Official Post

jeff gorski
    The javelin rules changed because of officials having to make judgement calls on flat throws or fair, NOT because of Hohn’s record…. that’s a stupid urban myth. As early as 1981 (after the horridly officiated javelin and discus @ Moscow 1980 Olympics) IAAF began to look into changing the javelin design to insure point first landings so officials have no say in the result: there was NEVER a consideration made concerning distances thrown, only point first landing. This information is readily available online- here’s just 1 source: Why did the senior javelin specification have to be changed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!