Recording your athletes throw in a competition for review

• At more and more track meets I see see coaches recording their throwers on a iPad during a competition and analyzing the video. I am in fact one of them. I make it a point not to show my thrower their video until after the competition. I recently read a rule comment specifically for high school track (NFHS) that now makes me believe that I can in fact show them the video during a competition as long as its after the throw and I am in a unrestricted area.

What is your thoughts on this?

I am particularly interested in the thoughts of the other coaches in my area that I see on this forum who also have athletes compete in the CIF Southern Section.

Details taken from this page
    NFHS | NFHS Track and Field and Cross Country Comments on the Rules 2014
    3-2-8, 3-2-4k and 3-2-7 – Technology advancements in the
    area of electronic audio and video devices have made such items easy to
    use and very accessible. Their use, if not used for communication during
    the actual competition when a competitor is on the track or completing a
    trial, no longer creates an advantage or disadvantage among competitors or
    teams and can serve as a coaching tool. These items may be used in the
    coaches’ box and/or unrestricted areas. They shall not be used to review
    an official’s decision. The games committee no longer has authority to
    restrict their use.

Thanks
    Michael

• I know that in my experience (in Indiana) it is against most conference rules and regulations to let the athlete watch video during the competition. Even if it is after their event. In the NAIA we are not allowed to see the video during the entire meet. I believe the NAIA just takes the NCAA handbooks I think.

http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/resources/sid/Rule Books/XCTF.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=27900

I personally think that it can help the coach see things, but I do not think the athlete needs to see the video until after the meet. Most athlete's I feel will trust their coach enough to listen to the tips they give them between throws.

• I'm also at a NAIA school and at bigger meets like conference our coach doesn't even record us because of the risk of being disqualified if someone were to say that we were watching our own video. An athlete should be able to trust their coach, I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry!

• Their use, if not used for communication during
    the actual competition when a competitor is on the track or completing a
    trial,

There's the problem. I believe that the CIF/ officials believe the "competition" to be from the time of the first thrower's first throw until the last thrower's last throw, meaning that the use of electronic equipment would still be prohibited even after an athlete has thrown and is waiting for his next throw. I would err on the side of caution, it isn't worth getting DQ'ed to watch a video. In high school I competed in the CIF-SS and won a divisional title in the discus, and i got to know some of the officials. I don't wanna speak on it too much, but they aren't exactly the most... lenient. I also go to college in the southland, and the college officials are also not what I would call "lenient".

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!