"The Ring" archive entries from May 19th 2012

• Quote from MSacThrower

My two cents... I like them, but I don't. Yes Ronn you are correct of the idea of unloading the weight, but it has to do more with unloading the hips and glutes, and not the quads. So with some combined information from a few very knowledgeable strength coaches, cough... Poliquin...cough... Simmons, hear is what I've learned. Some problems that an athlete can run into with box squats is the shortening of the piriformis muscles, or those muscles that help football players cut side to side, or moves that induce ankle breaking of the other athletes. Also because the box squat, depending on height of the box of course, is designed to hit the hips and glutes more, there are some muscles left out on the party. Simmons incorporates sled drags and some other leg squivering routines to hit the quads hard. But in the end I think Simmons said it best when he said along the lines of, "these workouts are designed for power lifters, if you took a normal athlete and put them on this program it would destroy them." But they are doing these year round and are always within 95% of a max at any time. Personally, like I said early I like them and I don't, a 3 or 6 week cycle of them might really help some athletes who are missing the hip strength and concentric phase of the lift. I really like the idea of turning the lift on its' head with doing it with pins. Only think I can see with that is the body as a whole become unloaded at the bottom postion, with the traditional box squat the hips disengage at the bottom but the rest of the body remains loaded and tight. Maybe find a piece of foam that is thick enough to take some of the stress away from the seated postion but allows the athlete to still just break parallel on the lift. Hope training is going good up there.

published at May 19th 2012 1:53am on http://www.effortlessthrow.org/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!