Shot Put Standing Throws [Majewski 19m?]

• My best stands with a 7.26kg have been measured at 16.76m (07') and 16.45m (13'). These measurements were 6 years apart and my personal bests at the times were 18.07m (07') and 21.29m (13'). Does the stand throw result have an equative effect on the full throw for spinners? My statistics would serve as evidence of it being a neutral relationship for spinners.

So:
    2007 :: 16,76m (55' 0") = 18,07m (59' 3½")
    2013 :: 16,45m (53' 11¾") = 21,29m (69' 10¼")

editor's note: does anyone else write the apostrophe after the abbreviated year?

• @Justin RODHE would know better. 2007 was his final year in the NCAA and the 18m throw was a one-off to win Nationals.

@Sam Healy I have been rotating in the shot since 2000. Admittedly not very well until about 2005. I would not consider myself a "novice" in rotational shot in 2007. I would suggest the growth of my full throw being independent from my stand throw is related to a fundamental change in my full throw technique and a drastic change in exercise movements and load dispersals. The technique change that Bondarchuk taught me was much faster and more efficient than my old technique. The exercise regime Bondarchuk prescribed to me was vastly different from what I had executed in NCAA, being explosive bouts of throwing related movements. No matter how much I try, I simply can not stand throw the shot put farther than 16.5 meters!

• @Sam Healy I have been rotating in the shot since 2000. Admittedly not very well until about 2005. I would not consider myself a "novice" in rotational shot in 2007. I would suggest the growth of my full throw being independent from my stand throw is related to a fundamental change in my full throw technique and a drastic change in exercise movements and load dispersals. The technique change that Bondarchuk taught me was much faster and more efficient than my old technique. The exercise regime Bondarchuk prescribed to me was vastly different from what I had executed in NCAA, being explosive bouts of throwing related movements. No matter how much I try, I simply can not stand throw the shot put farther than 16.5 meters!

Really interesting @Justin RODHE . I think I can conclude that it is not as important to be good at standing throw to be a good rotater. My son was complaining that he had done too many standing throws this morning and was too tired to rotate. So maybe we would be much better off concentrating on being more explosive in the rotational. Maybe you need to be really good at standing to do glide only.

• @nekkari was he a glider? How far was his full throw?

Mika Halvari was a spinner! Hes one of the most talented throwers ever to walk on this earth in my opinion. Hes indoor PB 22,09m is still the nordic record and of course national record as well. Hes outdoor PB is 21,50m. I have heard stories of him throwing 23m+ distances in training in 2000....unfortunately he tore his achilles tendon that summer for the second time and never really recovered from that. He retired in 2004. As a 190cm+ and about 170-180kg man he was massively strong and fast.

• This is in response to how the standing throw translates to rotational delivery...not necessarily, guys. I can stand 17m, but it is not the same path of delivery as my rotational delivery...there are several issues here... 1-block-not a hell of a lot of time and it is unconventional to block extremely hard while rorating(although I'm trying a few things to alter this), but DO YOUR BLOCKING DRILLS/HALF SPIN/RIGHT LEG DRILLS!! 2-separation: easier to concentrate on getting foot-ankle-knee-hip progression well ahead of blocking arm/shoulders with standing and glide...BUT it is possible and if you're going to hit the elite level it's a must 3- reverse/non-reverse: this one's counter intuitive...you are going to see higher potential with your non-reverse than with your reverse...but you say 'COACH, I'm a spinner!! I have to reverse or I'll fly out of the circle...and that you may. Warm up and do full power drills for a few weeks WITHOUT THE DAMN TOEBOARD...pull those pins and chick that joker to the side for now.

Here's the idea: how the hell do you know what full power and potential looks and feels like without ever experiencing it because you're worried about the toe board...fouling, tripping, whatever... Then after a cycle if 2-3weeks without it, add it back...now your ppl know what they're capable of, just adjust and keep those feet in the ring!

It's just that simple people. It's part of my regular training. Coaches, get on board!

• Hey, just saw this post, thought I would weigh in on things I have seen or heard from good sources. First off, Florian, that video you posted is from December 18th 2013, or 12/18 in the US or as written 18.12 as the Europe and write sometimes. It is a date, not distance.

My best stands are 17.90m non reverse and 18.20m reverse with the 7.26kg. In high school my best stand with the 12lb was around 19.80m. Some of my best stands with odd weights are (all reverse) 4k-22m in 2007, 12lb 21m 2008, 17lb 17.60m 2013, 18lb 17m 2013. My average conversion from stand to full is 4.5m, yesterday in Potsdam I stood 16.90m, full reverse 21.20m. My best stand was in Moscow 2013, 18.20, I threw 21.57 in meet, but was in 22.50+ shape ( sometimes it doesn't work out)

Best I have personally seen:
    Majewski: 19.80-20m 2012
    Hoffa: 18.60m Daegu 2011
    Bartels: 20.10m 2011
    Prasil: 20m
    Nelson: 18-18.50m in person, heard 19+
    Kovacs: 19-19.20m
    Walsh: 15m (no joke)
    Storl: 20.50-60m 2012+2014 indoor and 2012 outdoor
    ivanov: 19.70
    Jordan Clarke: ~17m
    kurt roberts: 18.30m

If I think of more I will post them, hope this helps

• Wow royalty has spoken! Really interesting as I heard about Walsh's stand as well. I wonder if he could improve that by 10% what impact that could have on his full. I doubt he practices it as I saw his coach throwing one day and he threw 8 sa's and 8 fulls. He told me stands were not specific enough. I know from watching all your drill videos Ryan that you do practice them. I find it really interesting that your pb for full is around 30% higher than your stand as this matches my sons throwing pbs. I notice also a glider I am working with throws less than 10%further than stand so that really suggests a poor power position. Gliders should be getting 15% more. I am sure in one of Brian Oldfield's articles he said he found soon after he pbd stands that soon after he did it in full

• This is a very interesting subject and it gets down to the details of who should spin and who should glide. The points i look for in an athlete who is going to be a glider today is an athlete with a good standing throw. This happens only one of 2 ways. 1. the athlete has what i call an golden arm which is very rare in throwers (Only seen an handful of these over the years) 2.or someone that is very tall and long levered and strong especially in the upper body. Big stands take a big CNS and this is why we don't see many now a days. In the 80's 20m stands were common place and the top level stands were over 70 feet. I personally have seen some of these.

This lost of the big standing throw has lead to the revolution of rotational throwers in the past 20 years. An excellent technical glider can only get about 7 feet on top of a standing throw on the average. The top men rotational style throwers today mostly throw stands right around 60 and many of them less then that. Some of these men have great weight room numbers that should indicate bigger standing throws but it just doesn't happen today without the peds because that is what drove the CNS to make all those large standing throws. The stand is a partial movement of the full throw and to create big distances the body has to create horsepower at a much faster rate.

Ryan's numbers on the standing throws he has seen is the same Dan Taylor and Cory Martin have told me they have seen also.

John Smith

• Official Post

First off, Florian, that video you posted is from December 18th 2013, or 12/18 in the US or as written 18.12 as the Europe and write sometimes. It is a date, not distance.

My bad I didn't check properly :(
    I did not expect someone to put the date into the title as well and I just assumed at the spot it would be the distance.

Thanks for clarifying !
    Great to see you back here!

• Saw Adam stand about 19.25ish pre-meet in '04, Dylan a few months ago 17.75-18.25, both in person; have never seen a 21m thrower under 17/17.5. I think Adam's thing was that left leg...he was used to striking hard after whipping it around (hard to time that, I've tried) instead of tucking it out of his wheel, but his stands and step-ups were over 19.

Some guys can have horrendous stands but can push the right so damn fast outta the back they gain 15ft though the circle.

• That wasn't 19...17.5-18, trajectory was definitely greater than 50deg, optimum stand=40-42deg and full rotation/glide= 36-38deg. By themselves, they're 2 different throws, but the 'stand' changes when you use it as part of the full technique, becomes dynamic, lower angle(stronger press) can be achieved due to gained momentum. Also, Majewski is a long puller, his stands will be further if he throws at about 45-47deg.

• Ex: I'm 6'4", he's 6'9". The benefit is his leverage due to his length(he is pushing the ball for a longer period of time). I can push harder over a shorter distance. that's long puller/short puller. There is no 'should', later fellas

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!