I would like to discuss the South African as an element of the liner method of throwing either shot or discus.
This pathway is achieved best facing the center of the landing sector (this means your toes , hips , shoulders) . The right-handed thrower places his left-foot at 11 o’clock and steps/ skates/lunges into the center of the circle with a pre-turned right-foot to insure a complete 360˚ pivot. This foot starts the rotation up through a bent knee into the hip and creates separation/torque often called the “X FACTOR”.
The drive is from the left-foot with toes and hips pointing to the 5 o’clock. With this initial drive from the left-foot into the pre- turned /pre-bent right-ankle and right- knee in the center of the circle you skate into the rotation and come out of the rotation faster than you than you entered it.
This lunging pivot step accelerates your body weight from the penultimate step into the left impulse step at the front of the circle. (This is similar to steps taken when long jumping ) The pivoting right-leg drives the hip into a blocking left-leg /post creating the backward “C”.
The belly button should be over the left-toes at this point. The left-arm is up and in the same position as it was at the beginning of the the South African and at the blocking/post at the front of the circle.
A good way to keep your left-arm in position is to stretch your shoulders back as if trying to touch your shoulder blades together creating a big chest. You can almost see the “C” at the back ,the “X” in the middle and the final “C” just before releasing or throwing the shot or discus. There are a few aspects of the South African for the liner approach of rotational throwing not covered here, like where and how to hold the shot or discus .
- Official IAAF London 2017 Entry Standards Released February 4, 2017
- USA Indoor Discus Championships 2016 & Big Clinic-Thoughts and Reflections December 20, 2016
- Pakistan’s highly talented javelin thrower Arshad Nadeem is set to undergo eight months training in the world athletics governing body’s (HPTC) in Mauritius. November 27, 2016
- North American Throws Symposium September 28, 2016
- Its that time again! + Message August 5, 2016
- RUMOR: IAAF Hoping to Drop Hammer from Olympics March 13, 2014
- Nike Throwing Shoes, What’s the Difference? June 2, 2013
- Nadine Müller marries girlfriend January 5, 2014
- How the USA adapted in the Shot Put post-1995 and Why We Didn’t Adapt in the Discus March 9, 2014
- Harting suggests to change the weights for the throwing implements September 10, 2014
2015 Off-Season Training Talk Andreas Thorkildsen Anna Rüh Benn Harradine Betty Heidler Christian Cantwell Christina Obergföll Christina Schwanitz Christoph Harting David Storl Diamond League Discus discus throw Dylan Armstrong Ehsan Hadadi Gerd Kanter Hammer hammer throw Jacko Gill javelin throw Joe Kovacs Julia Fischer Kathrin Klaas Kibwè Johnson Konrad Bukowiecki Linda Stahl london 2012 Martin Wierig matthias de zordo Nadine Mülller Olympic Games Piotr Malachowski Reese Hoffa Road to Beijing Robert Harting Ryan Whiting samsung diamond league Sandra Perkovic Shanice Craft shot put Thomas Röhler Tomasz Majewski Valerie Adams virgilijus alekna world championships
- Xe says: This doesn't answer my question 🙄
- Alan says: I am interested in a throwing (probably javelin) guru or elite...
- jameilia jones says: when u say shop at the right time do u mean...
- gabe says: if i throw 2kg discus how light shlould the discus be...
- The 2016 Summer Olympics Will Be The Gayest In History says: […] Minderhoud (Netherlands, equestrian) Ian Matos (Brazil, diving) Angel McCoughtry (USA,...
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets